The Project is a bi-sectoral project anchored on Food aid to the most vulnerable persons in conflict-affected areas in the Northeast Nigeria, and supported by Protection assistance to identified survivors and persons of concern.
The primary role of the Senior MEAL Assistant is to work directly with field operations program staff and partners to ensure implementation of high quality MEAL at the field. He/she will provide technical analysis and support in the area of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning in line with Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria (CCFN) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practice to technical staff to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Working closely with technical experts his/her skills and knowledge will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CCFN’s MEAL programming is across the Country. He/she will be required to support the development of effective MEAL systems and data collection tools; collect data using qualitative and quantitative methods, conduct data entry and analysis, and accompany partner staff in doing the same.
- Coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement.
- Ensure timely and quality data collection, (needs assessments, household registration, baseline / end line surveys, PDMs, KAP surveys, FDG, KII and others) by drafting the necessary quantitative and qualitative tools (Data collection tools, including coding) for review and validation by the technical team.
- Ensure implementation of MEAL plans through routine monitoring of activities at the field level.
- Support teams to pilot data collection tools and integrate the findings into the final tools by providing feedback / error reports to the MEAL Manager/Specialist.
- Train and manage the M&E Assistants (JDPC) to carry out regular M&E functions, ensuring that all procedures and policies are respected.
- Perform timely and quality data analysis of MEAL data for different projects as needed through Excel or other statistical software for review and validation by the M&E Manager.
- Ensure timely and quality reporting of MEAL activities implemented by their team (surveys, monitoring activities.
- Provide support to the review and development of M&E systems for new projects, in collaboration with M&E manager/Specialist and projects teams at the field level.
- Support program teams, advocacy and knowledge management teams to identify lessons learned and best practices, and produce case studies and human interest stories through collation and analysis of M&E information.
- Provide support for donor reports and proposal inputs as requested by Senior MEAL Specialist, Senior Program Manager or HOD.
- Support Accountability and report Responses, complaints and feedback from the field.
Qualifications and Proficiencies
- A minimum of Bachelors’ degree in Statistics, Economics, International Development studies, or any related field.
- At least 3 years’ data/program management experience; previous experience in data collection and analysis, designing and deployment of data toolset.
- Demonstrated strong ability with project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point)
- Experience with capacity strengthening and partnership building, especially with local partners.
- Knowledge of Sphere emergency guidelines, including MEAL guidelines and best practices.
- Ability and willingness to work and live in a challenging and potentially unstable environment.
- Commitment to and proven track record in managing accountable, transparent, and inclusive programming and data analysis in complex contexts.
- Ability to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to lead a multi-cultural team with a high level of respect for local culture.
Preferred: Familiarity with UN donors and guidelines.
Professional proficiency in English, Hausa and Marghi languages.
Will report to the Senior MEAL Specialist, with a dotted line relational pattern to the Senior Program Manager, Humanitarian Services