Building Sustainable Livelihoods for Vibrant Communities” (B-SLiC) Program, is a 2 year Agriculture and Livelihoods Program, targeting 20,000 direct beneficiaries in 4,000 households across Ekiti and Lagos States. The program aims to build capacity and empower women, men and youths in climate smart agricultural production, vocational skills acquisition and facilitate increased access to markets and financial inclusion. The direct beneficiaries would not only have improved household incomes which would enable them to better carter for their household members, but would become self-employed and employers of labour, thereby creating more jobs within the communities.
The MEAL Assistant will work closely with the MEAL Associate and Program staff to provide effective monitoring of project activities, in accordance with Caritas Nigeria Policy Provisions, with regard to project monitoring, evaluation and accountability and other related matters as are required; all in compliance with statutory regulations and best practice.
Key Areas of Accountability
Provide effective support in the following regards:
- Supports the development of monitoring and reporting tools and guidance documents for use in gathering, collating and analyzing MEAL data;
- Provide inputs to use data to inform the organization’s operational planning processes to ensure cross departmental planning based on available information;
- Support and provide innovative strategies to strengthen data collection, monitoring, evaluation, analysis and reporting;
- Gather timely MEAL data to inform program monitoring and reporting
- Generate daily and weekly MEAL reports to feed into the weekly and monthly project progress reports
- Carry out daily field monitoring to gather good quality and authenticity data from the project sites;
- Assist with the development of a consolidated monthly reporting system format for project staff, with designated section of each project component. Assist in the conduct of project baseline and progress survey (appropriate sample size and sampling survey methods and data collection procedures, data verification through periodic site visits where appropriate).
- Support the development of project annual work plans and associated budgets for MEAL related activities.
- Performs routine Data Quality Assurance (DQA) in the project and implement designed systems of a project.
- Ensure project data are entered and updated on timely basis.
- Prepare progress report on activities undertaken, results achieved against targets and plan for follow up actions.
- Ensure lessons learned are documented and shared for improved project implementation.
- Assist in project reviews and evaluations.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and community of practice.
- Provide support on data tracking and reporting on mobilized resources
- Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the monitoring and evaluation officer in preparing relevant reports;
- Support monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievements of results;
- Collate and follow up on Issue Log for the project
- Respond to all data queries from monitoring and evaluation officer
- Support training and mentoring to partners and field officers on the use of data tools
- Carry out any other duty as may be assigned.
Qualification and Experience
- Qualified bachelor’s degree/HND in Social Sciences, Sociology, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics or any related field.
- Minimum of 1 year experience of working experience in monitoring and evaluation with INGO, NGO and civil society organization.
- Good ICT Skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a variety of internal and external relationships.
- Fluent in English Language (Oral and Written), Yoruba and local dialect of the work area.
- Willingness to reside and ability to travel throughout program locations in Southwest Nigeria.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in community participation/engagement-type project.
- Knowledge of how to leverage new technology, remote monitoring platforms, and social media to gather and analyze local context and perceptions data.
- Ability to identify and develop creative and innovative approaches to monitor activity outcomes and improve activities design and implementation based on findings from action research.
- Ability to work under pressure, efficiently handle multiple tasks, quickly find creative solutions to problems and challenges that arise, and manage stress and time in a fast-paced work and fluid operating environment.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, cooperation, and learning.
- High degree of accountability and integrity and ability to coach, mentor and inspire subordinates.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
Should possess good skills in:
- Knowledge of common used probability and purposive sampling technique
- Determining activities/process/output/outcomes/impact
- Identifying and detailing out key monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Facilitation and training of field staff on data gathering and data compilation
- Knowledge of improving quality of information during information gathering.
- Data and result oriented; team player, pro-active and innovative.
- Good communication skills (oral and written)
- Information management and reporting, networking and stakeholder engagement, negotiations and persuasion, planning and organizing and problem analysis.
- Attention to details.