Caritas Nigeria is a development and humanitarian relief agency of the Catholic Bishop’s Conference of Nigeria. The Shelter & Durable Solutions project is funded by UNHCR to cater to the shelter and protection needs of vulnerable persons through the construction of 100 compartments of durable shelters for vulnerable persons as well as address their livelihoods needs.
Summary of Role:
The Food Security and Livelihoods Programme Officer will work closely with the Program Manager, Humanitarian Services Dept, to deliver needed capacity building and technical assistance for beneficiaries on the project. S/he will co-lead planning, implementation and monitoring of all Food Security/Livelihoods activities and humanitarian response which also includes program support in beneficiary targeting, selection and registration, community mobilization, trainings, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, coordination, and reporting. In addition to this, s/he will, on behalf of Caritas Nigeria/JDPC, attend sector meetings as necessary and present reports.
- Facilitate the training of beneficiary groups/HHs on Best Agronomic Practices (BAP), Home gardening, livestock rearing (small ruminants), Post- Harvesting/Storage, Income generating activities (IGAs)
- Assist in the establishment of contact and engagement of functional Agro input dealers and other relevant vendors/contractors
- Plan and execute Agric Input fares and any other relevant project event
- Create appropriate linkages to Agric Extension Services and produce markets
- Facilitate the training, formation and sustainability Savings and Internal Lending Community (SILC) Groups
- Ensure proper engagement of relevant vendors for Cash Transfers/disbursement
- Facilitate distribution of Food items, farm inputs and other non-food items
- Assist project partners implement activities as indicated in monthly and quarterly work plan
- Support project partners to develop detailed monthly and quarterly technical work plan
- Ensure adequate timely reporting from partners on the Agric/livelihoods Sector.
- Carry out Post-Distribution Monitoring activities as required
- Support the follow-up of post-agriculture trade and input voucher fair in all the communities
- Support in preparation of all periodic reports.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Program Manager and other principals.
Desired Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- B. Agric/B. extension or equivalent in relevant field such as agriculture or rural development
- 2-5 years of agriculture/markets/livelihoods experience in humanitarian context
- Strong technical background in a broad range of livelihoods and early economic recovery interventions
- Demonstrated capacity in technical support and coordination
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Demonstrated experience and abilities in donor and host government representation at field level, in capacity building of local staff and local government, in negotiation, and monitoring
- Effective multi-tasking, organizational capacity, prioritization skills are necessary
- English (written and spoken) is required
- Ability to communicate effectively in Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri and other languages of the region will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is essential
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Resident or conversant to the geographic terrain in North-East Nigeria